Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

"Why do you have a blog if you're not going to use it?" they ask.  I know, I know it's been a while.  I've had no creative "mojo" lately, and a bad bout with an intestinal bug over Mother's Day that left me drained!  I'll spare you the details.  Suffice it to just say, yuck!!

What else?...Mika got a new job.  Yay!!  She's working everyday and took the summer off from school.  Gage graduated from pre-school and is getting ready for Kindergarten (sniff, sniff), Brian's busy with Scout stuff and, you guessed it...fishing; and I have been called to the Relief Society Presidency to serve as the Secretary.  Feeling a little bit overwhelmed, but it's all good.  We have a very blessed life!!

Some of you know I just got my Dad's headstone in the ground this last week, after a year and a half of pleading, crying, changing companies, etc.  I'm pleased with the way it turned out.  However, I was unprepared for how I felt seeing it at the cemetery for the first time.  There was something very final about the whole thing.  Not that I thought my Dad was going to walk through the door, or anything like that.  Just how real it all seems now having the headstone.  It's been a difficult few days in that regard.  I've spent a lot of time with him this week; cleaning all of the bronze and granite, and trimming away the extra earth and grass from around it.  Anyone who knew Dad, knows he'd want it that way.  I'm happy it's all completed for today.  I know he'll have lots of visitors.  I'll go up again later today to take a flower from my sister in Wisconsin, but I'm waiting until most of the crowds are gone so we can visit better.


Anyway, here's hoping you all have a wonderful holiday.  We're going to the nursery and planting more flowers today, and then going to a barbeque later this evening.  I'm so grateful for the life we have because of those who have gone before us, making it all possible.  They should never be forgotten.

~Angie

4 comments:

Cookie said...

Angie!
I am so happy your feeling better and your Dads headstone is really nice...I love the sweet sentiment...Glad to see your back in action blogging! Hugs and Love, Cookie...Have a wonderful Memorial Day I am sure your Dad is smiling down...:D

The Jars said...

Angie, your dad's headstone is beautiful! I am so glad that this battle is finally over and it is finally finished and in place. Thank you for sharing.

Tammy said...

I totally get the feeling of seeing the head stone for the first time....i loved this post though and am so excited for Mika and her new job! You will do great in RS!

Brad and Jenelle Jensen said...

It's beautiful and I love it. He deserves it. I still cannot believe I ran into you... what a HUGE coincidence! (or blessing, rather!)