Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy New Year everyone! This is my first try at developing my own blog. I couldn't decide if I wanted it to be just strictly a family blog, a place to keep my paper crafts, or a little of both; so I guess I'll figure it out along the way. Hopefully it will be a place to keep my family and friends up-to-date on what we are up to. Maybe no one cares. Am I being presumptuous? Hmmm...Oh well, if nothing else it will be a place to keep the pics of my creations.

To anyone who still hasn't heard, Gage was released from the hospital on Christmas Eve. We were so grateful to have him home in time for Christmas. This was the sickest he's ever been, and quite honestly, the scariest time Brian and I have ever had with him, including the "nut incident." We were unable to wake him in the car, and his breathing at that point became just little grunts. I will never forget that sound. Thankfully, the nurses just took him from us as we came in through the E.R. doors. Davis Hospital would not have been our first choice, but at the time he passed out, we had no other choice. He was treated very well this time, and he stayed in the new pediatric wing of the hospital. I didn't leave his side for three days. As I said, he's home now and doing very well. In fact, they picked up all of the oxygen tanks today, as he doesn't need them anymore. He'll remain on inhaled steroids probably through the summer, and we just have to watch the air quality very closely. He was a real trooper this time, and did very well with everything that was asked of him. He had to stay in the house over Christmas Eve and all of Christmas Day. In fact, he was unable to leave the house until the following Tuesday. We saw the pediatrician again, and she said he could begin to be in public again, but we really have to watch being around anyone who's seems ill. How thankful I am that he and I received our H1N1 shots.

Speaking of H1N1, a very dear friend of mine has contracted this virus. Long story short, she ended up in the ICU at McKay on a ventilator. She was a very healthy 27 y/o, with a new 4 month old baby they had just adopted in September. She had been feeling ill, went to the doctor and was told she had an ear infection. Four days later she returned to the doctor complaining of heavy congestion in her chest. Her O2 sats. were discovered to be at 84% (very low), and they admitted her immediately. Her chest x-ray showed a double pneumonia, and ultimately her nasal aspirate came back positive for H1N1. She was on the ventilator for 10 days, and her doctors were not sure she was going to make it. She became gravely ill. It's been quite a journey for her, but she is now home. She still requires oxygen, and is still just exhausted, but she's coming along. She has a wonderful husband and family, and we were all praying for her to recover. I love her and hope she continues to improve every day. She has become a real advocate for the H1N1 shot.

It's been a hard year for sickness. My sister Chrissy, has still been struggling with her cough. I think she's finally found a doctor that is on the right track to a diagnosis. Anyone who knows Chris, knows she's gone through quite a lot the last year or so, even having major surgery in and around her abdomen and chest. Her cough is started up again over the last few month. A CT Scan is being ordered by her doc, so hopefully some good news will come from that, and they can decide how to treat her. We pray for her and her family daily. She is a wonderful daughter and sister.

Mika started her first day of college yesterday. I'm still struggling with the fact that she is an adult; well, 18 anyway. I still want to cuddle her in my arms and save her from any hardships, pain, trouble, cruelty,etc. She told me today that she doesn't want to have to be dependent on anyone. I understand where she is coming from, but I would like her to understand that she has the rest of her life to prove herself as an adult. She doesn't have to race to get there so fast! Who knows, maybe I was the same way. Looking back now, I wish I would have taken it more slowly. Once you leave the comfort of the nest, it's never the same. With all that said, I'm very proud of the young woman she's become. She'll always be my baby, no matter what she thinks!!

We're also in the process of cleaning out our office, and finding a place to store all of my paper crafting "stuff." We're hoping to use part of the office for that until we can get the basement finished. We'll be starting on that in the early spring. Bry's brothers and his Dad have offered to help, and between all of them, they have some great talent in that area. My dream would be to have my own "crafting room" downstairs where I can just go to create. I'd like to make it my own space and be surrounded by things that would offer me some inspiration. Starting on the basement and pouring the third driveway, or RV space, are our goals for the summer.

Good night!! I had no idea I'd gone on for so long! Anyone reading this has probably dropped off to sleep by now.........(your welcome for a few minutes of shut-eye). I'll close for now. I still have a few things I have to get figured out with this blogging thing. If you happen to stumble across this, leave me a comment. Would love to year your thoughts or any advice that might help.


No comments: